Sunday, April 3, 2011

It Takes a Village...

to make a heronry. Ma and Pa Heron passing a stick to each other.

Very encouraging news from the UW heron colony: the number of nests on the western side has at least doubled over last year! Five nests alone are in one tree slightly to the northwest of the main core of last year's group. Plus, one or two--can't tell--more in conifers across the walkway slightly to the east. And there are about two or three more nests in the grouping next to the EE/Paul Allen building.

The skeletal beginnings of a new nest, well-silhouetted by the setting sun.


On the hunt for the perfect twig, this bird extends its left wing to keep its balance.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful shots--such interesting birds, but I've never seen them engaged in nestmaking before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I'm so happy I found this. I was wondering if someone had good photos of the heron colony at UW. I just discovered them myself and I was so pleased!!

    ReplyDelete